Wednesday, June 9, 2010

SHUTTER ISLAND: NO MAN IS AN ISLAND

US Marshall Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) is not having a good day.We meet him as he is puking his guts out on a ferry boat on his way to investigate a mysterious disappearance of a imprisoned mental patient on Shutter Island; the home of the criminally insane. Partnered up with Chuck Aule (Mark Ruffalo) they set off amidst the creepy and foreboding settings to try to discover how a frail woman with no shoes could have escaped from a locked cell. Little do they know what lies ahead for them.
This film is styled after a film noir to the extreme; the gumshoe hardened cop who knows there is more going on than meets the eye and trusts no one. Or is it? The action is nonstop, even if that action is what is going on in Teddy's mind, even if that action has to do with his own personal demons. And it does. The film as a whole is just that, a thriller and there were times that I felt myself holding my breath in anticipation. Usually, I am disappointed in the book to movie work-up, but in this case I was pleased. The book was certainly a page turner and the movie didn't let me down. The end hits you like a glass of cold water thrown in your face and it's amazing. What I didn't expect was the level of compassion and humanity revealed which gave the film some touching and sincere points. It is long! But I don't think that I watched the clock once. The strong cast was all around fantastic. DiCaprio took on his role with gusto and Ben Kingsly as Dr. Cawley, was another solid performance. Michelle Williams as Dolores was a gem but at the end was stellar. I won't give much more away except that I really enjoyed this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, make a comment!